In 1906, the community of Cleverville was formed approximately four miles east of what is now Highway 23 on Secondary Road 529. Cleverville was named in honor of Martin G. Clever who gave free sites to anyone wishing to build and conduct business in the new hamlet.
In 1910, the Canadian Pacific Railway decided to build a track next to what is now highway 23, bypassing Cleverville. The decision was made to move Cleverville and in 1910 the new townsite began developing.
In 1911, the community received its charter and the first grain was hauled by rail. In 1915, one million bushels of wheat were shipped from Champion and thus Champion became known as "the Million Bushel Town". The Coal Mines were also operational during this time.
Welcome to Champion!